WHAT CAN YOU DO TO KEEP OUR WATER CLEAN?
Rainfall washes pollutants (such as Motor Oil, Fertilizers, and other Chemicals) off surfaces, carrying them into the nearest body of water. These toxic pollutants contaminate aquatic habitats and sources of drinking water.
Steps that you can take to reduce pollutants in stormwater runoff:
- Do not dump any solid or liquid waste on the ground, street, driveway, sewer, or into any pipe.
- Be watchful of any deliberate, illegal dischargers of prohibited items or other suspected hazardous waste.
- Volunteer in any cleanup programs in your neighborhood.
- Keep properties free of solid or liquid waste that may run into a storm sewer.
- Always pick up after pets.
- Minimize the use of pesticides and fertilizers.
There are several significant annual opportunities to volunteer to improve water quality in our area.
- Missouri Stream Team - mostreamteam.org/calendar-of-events
- Missouri River Relief - riverrelief.org/event-calendar/
- No MOre Trash - modot.org/get-involved-no-more-trash
- Weldon Spring City Park or Neighborhood Clean Up
The City will post educational and volunteer opportunities at weldonspring.org.
Back to the list